[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:01:13 GMT 2010

2010/1/20 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>

> I'm not interested in doing it, as a map is not a good place to store such
> information.  Phone book information belongs in a phone book, not a map.

I will add some very brief on the subject as a long and convoluted series of
mails tend to bore quite a bit, but OSM is not a map. OSM is a database. You
can create a map out of that database and that's it.
I understand why you don't want to tag some elements with too much details,
and to some extent, I agree with you. However, I take the view that people
will want to map what they want and I don't care as long as I can get the
information I need without major problems. It is always up to the renderer
to decide what should be displayed. A map will never be overloaded unless
you are dumb enough to try to render everything you have entered in the
database.
You are probably right that some information belongs to yellow pages, but
right now, I can't easily link both OSM and yellow pages easily without OSM
containing enough data. At some point, it would be great to have the
semantic web up and running but you are far from that. There is no need to
get upset like this. You might yell as much as you want, people will still
enter the data they want. You are always so active on the mailing list that
you have effectively become inaudible to me. I suspect I might not be the
only one that shares that feeling.

Just a little rant, but please chill down as there is no need to get so
excited like this: you have no control over the situation, simple as that.

Emilie Laffray