[Tagging] opening-hours and closing-hours (was: Feature Proposal - Voting - opening hours holiday select)

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 11:37:45 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-13 19:06, Pieren wrote :
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Robin `ypid` Schneider <ypid23 at aol.de> wrote:
>
> It's unclear if your proposal is "opening_hours=SH(summer holiday)" or
> "opening_hours=SH" (then you should correct the wiki because the tag
> template is using the first version)
>
> I guess you plan to update the main "opening_hours" wiki if the
> proposal is accepted ?
As well as

  * choose one of the 5 or 6 contradictory forms, each denying the
    former ones, that were answered to my case that I finally proposed
    unambiguously as  *closing-hours=Fr 14:00-22:00* (in a message
    followed by -1 -1 -1 and 2 or 3 more contradictory tags)
  * if the answer to the simplified diagram I added to try to clarify
    many things is really "it's wrong", say what is wrong and correct it
  * especially, regarding *your* particular proposition
    *opening_hours="open; Fr 14:00-22:00 off"*
      o explain:  "open" and "closed" appear to be some new invention
        [*of mine, *in the diagram]
      o write a definition for *off* or validate/correct the definition
        in my diagram and explain the following replies to this request
        or its usage:
          + it's not used;
          + it's used but not like that;
          + *off* must not be defined but grasped;
          + the meaning of "off" is wrong
          + "off" [must not be defined because it] has been in use for
            quite some time already.
          + http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Time_domains
            explains quite well how the overall opening_hours syntax
            works (why then did I have to add its URL to the main page?)
      o write a definition or *open*, make up your mind between, and
        clarify:
          + "open" and "closed" appear to be some new invention
          + It was introduced by Netzwolf some years ago because it is
            needed as <rule_modifier> (when used together with a
            comment). It is now used over 150 times to do exactly that
            (regex: /open\s+"/). Of course it is an invention but one
            which is required
          + make explanations for the general tagger (I'm fine with
            regexp but not everybody)
      o clarify: "Because of the definition that following rules will
        overwrite previous once, times which span over midnight have to
        use additional rules which are separated by comma instead of
        semicolon. "
          + probably "override previous ones" and general syntax
          + instead of a casual remark about an example, make it a
            proper explanation
              # of the difference between comma and semicolon
              # of how rules override one another;  "graspingly", ranges
                specifying opening time would add themselves to opening
                time and ranges specifying closing time would subtract
                themselves from it, but I've seen an example for which
                the range was said to both add and subtract.

BTW, if the only reaction to *closing-hours=Fr 14:00-22:00* is -1 -1 -1
  vs   all of the above (and more) for the *opening-hours= ?_0 |?_1 |?_2
|?_3 |?_4 |?_5 *... attempted equivalents, then my *closing-hours
*proposition is obviously not a question of opinion or liking but an
absolute necessity.

Hoping this will help,
Cheers,

André.