[Tagging] New Key capacity:*=n values

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Aug 5 21:45:03 UTC 2015

> On Aug 5, 2015, at 7:56 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> FWIW, "access" tag and subtags are generally wrong on parking lots in this context, IMHO, what we normally want to say is that _parking_ is restricted. Access (e.g. walking there) is typically permissive on these sites. Anyway, it's documented like this.

you’re right, waking there is allowed. but cars can be physically restricted by a gate.

There is a trend at modern shopping malls here (huge outlet malls with 1000+ spaces) to have a separate handicapped parking lot directly in front of the location, surrounded by the highway=pedestrian expanse of the malls main walkway. The very short parking isle into this small lot sometimes has a gate on it opened by the security guard or possibly some official Japan issued remote.

This is following the trend at Japanese service areas that have a "handicapped bay" parking at newly remodeled Service Areas on the motorway, completely separate from the main parking (same for motorcycles). This seems to be a new standard, as all of the service areas (I have visited) have had them added in the last couple years.

Modern Service Area “Handicapped Bay"
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.84261,139.50442,3a,75y,188.69h,82.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjjSOsbRR_lYB1jnQX0ChXg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

separate mall parking with a gate (at the blue disabled turn from the main way,  barrier=lift_gate in the shadow)
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1432557,139.5414653,22z/data=!3m1!1e3

separate mall parking without a gate
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7144488,140.2931003,21z/data=!3m1!1e3 <https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7144488,140.2931003,21z/data=!3m1!1e3>

The last one I don’t have a picture of, but I have seen a lift gate for each individual space - each space has a lift gate blocking it, as the spaces in the parking structure are on the ground floor directly next to the mall entrance, so people abuse them.

Javbw