[Tagging] JOSM preset with strange tag values

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 04:20:52 UTC 2016

On 3/03/2016 12:23 PM, Dave Swarthout wrote:

> I recently discovered a preset in JOSM that should help in my work,
> shop=motorcycle (See:Presets/Transport/Motorcycle/Motorcycle Dealer in
> JOSM rel 9900). It is very detailed and would seem to cover every
> possible aspect of such shops from clothing and accessories to
> service. But it uses some tags and values that I've never seen and for
> which I could find no documentation.
>
> In addition to the established tag brand which defines the name of the
> vehicle's manufacturer, (brand=Yamaha, brand=Honda), brand as a value
> appears as an offering for several other tags. Here is a section of
> the Wiki page for shop=motorcycle
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dmotorcycle>
>
> The following is a proposal to put this service variety into tags:
>
>   * /sale=yes/brand/used/no/.../ - sells whole motorcycles
>   * /rental=yes/brand/no/.../ - motorcycle rental
>   * /repair=yes/brand/oldtimer/no/.../ - repairs / maintains motorcycles
>   * /safety_inspection=yes/no/ - inspection
>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection> of
>     safety/emission regulation conformance
>   * /parts=yes/brand/oldtimer/no/.../ - sells motorcycle parts
>   * /clothes=yes/brand/no/.../ - sells motorcycle clothes / equipment
>   * /scooters=yes/no/only/ - to distinguish scooter shops, very useful
>     in Asia
>   * /services=.../ - other services this shop offers
>

> Note the tag "sale" which can take values of yes, no, or brand. I
> reckon it means what it says but "sale" seems a poor choice for a tag.
>  (Note too that the Preset does not offer "used" in the choices as the
> Wiki implies.) If the wording in the Wiki is followed then this tag
> means the shop sells "whole motorcycles" (as opposed to pieces of
> motorcycles) of a certain brand. Fine, but the brand tag in the main
> section of the preset already specifies that, doesn't it? Is it
> logical to expect a shop selling new Hondas to also sell pieces of
> Yamaha motorcycles?
>
> One could reasonably assume that "brand" in those other cases means
> clothing of a certain brand, parts of a certain brand, etc., but what
> is the value "oldtimer" supposed to indicate?
>
> Thanks for your help and comments.

Most shops sell more than one brand of an item.
And 'sale' is usually taken to be a special event where prices are lower.
secondhand is already in the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:second_hand ... status= approved
.. so you would assume it has been discussed here and voted on. Around
June 2012.
safety_inspection= ... see wiki amenity= vehicle_inspection
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dvehicle_inspection
oldtimer refers to older things.. usually no longer sold 'new' but
either 'restored', 'used' etc. Example; vintage and veteran cars.

Presently bicycle shops have a dedicated tagging scheme... are all shops
to have there own individual and incompatible scheme? Or can we have ONE
common scheme? Please?

I would prefer

sells:motorcycle:yamaha:honda=yes
sells:motorcycle:parts:honda=yes
sells:motorcycle:tyres:yes  !NOTE UK ENGLISH!
sells:scooters:hysong:yes
sells:motorcycle_clothing=yes

Repair, maintain and service .. can all mean the same thing!!!! These
can be a separate area..  a 'workshop' with a separate entry and
separate reception.