[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Power pole extension

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 07:42:00 UTC 2017

On 13-Feb-17 06:09 PM, Fran├žois Lacombe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you Jherome for this clarification attempt.
> No objection against mixing poles and tower on any lines.
>
> Regarding the phase=2 discussion, phases=* have a clear definition.
> Occidental countries usualy have 3-phases power grids, but sometimes,
> 2 phases lines are used to feed train traction substations or heavy
> industries. It's not about a single phase line with neutral pole + 1
> live cable, it's 2 live cables often taken from 3-phases substation or
> line.

In Australia;
Heavy industry gets 3 phases.
A few houses may get 2 phases if their load is very large .. but it is
unusual and a safety concern, no single room should have more than one
phase.
Even fewer houses get 3 phase .. usually where the workshop has a
requirement for a 3 phase motor/furnace.

> According to the picture used, this is the correct value : the
> transformer has 2 cables from a 3-phases line (without neutral pole)
> connected to its primary side.
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Bridleway%2C_Atwick_-_geograph.org.uk_-_386117.jpg
>
> Furthermore, I'm wondering what's the best tagging regarding
> transformers or switches installed on top of power poles/towers :
> power=pole
> transformer=distribution
> voltage=...
> phases=...
>
> or
>
> power=pole
> transformer=distribution
> transformer:phases=...
> transformer:voltage=...
>
> Looking forward to your comments

Transformers will have an input voltage and an output voltage, usually
these voltages are different.
Most of the time these voltages will be on the lines connected to the
transformer (and the pole) and would be redundant.

Switches ... usually used for isolation.

> All the best
>
> *Fran├žois Lacombe*
>
> fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com
> www.infos-reseaux.com <http://www.infos-reseaux.com>
> @InfosReseaux <http://www.twitter.com/InfosReseaux>

> <andersontristan at hotmail.com <mailto:andersontristan at hotmail.com>>:
>
>     There's an intersting discussion about this here:
>

>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:power%3Dtransformer
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:power%3Dtransformer>
>

>     Here it is suggested that split single-phase power be tagged as
>     phases=2.  I disagree with this, and instead advocate tagging it
>     as phases=1 voltage=240.  In North America at least, this implies
>     split single-phase power.  The tag phases=2 should be reserved for
>     the rare instances (maybe not so rare in some parts of the world?)
>     where actual two-phase power is present.
>

>     Either way, this needs to be standardized and whatever decision we
>     come to needs to be made clear on the wiki pages for
>     power=transformer and the new power pole extension proposal.

Instance of the tag phase=2 misused.