[Tagging] Golf tag combinations

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Thu Aug 2 10:05:41 UTC 2018

I think people use the ref tag because that makes sense. I'm not a
golfer but on allotments the whole site usually has a name and the
individual plots have a number (ref=*). The OSM Standard map can't show
everything. We used to have a map like that as a sort of 'debug' map for
mappers; it was useful but horrible to look at as everything was jammed
in and not one to share more widely. Abusing the name tag is a common
beginner's mistake, let's not encourage even more use of the name tag -
rather make or find a render that shows what you want for a particular
purpose.

If RichardF's push towards vector maps bears fruit, displaying specific
items for your own needs should become easier. If Richard succeeds, then
an OBE should follow his recent award! Well done Richard.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)