[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 17:28:38 UTC 2018

>  the slash without spaces is used (e.g. Biel/Bienne), unless one of the
two names already has a space, in which case the slash is usually set
with spaces
(e.g. Bielersee / Lac de Bienne).

This I would support. It is generally used and understood like this in
Nederland as well. The remark that if the script type changes a special
separator is not needed, I second that too.

> I suspect that the different punctuation marks on OSM are a
> consequence of different writing habits in the respective regions,
> which i recommend to follow.
>
> For example, in English-speaking regions and in Switzerland the slash
> without spaces is used (e.g. Biel/Bienne), unless one of the two names
> already has a space, in which case the slash is usually set with
> spaces (e.g. Bielersee / Lac de Bienne).
>
> Regards
> Markus
>
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 14:21, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Please see:
> >
> >    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Multilingual_
> names#Slash.2C_space.2C_or_spaced_hyphen.3F
> >
> > where I wrote:
> >
> > This page (and perhaps actual practice) is inconsistent in suggesting:
> >
> > * slashes: name=L'Alguer/Alghero (New Zealand, Portugal, Sardinia)
> > * spaced hyphens: name=Rue du Marché aux Poulets - Kiekenmarkt (Belgium,
> Spain)
> > * spaces: name=干諾道中 Connaught Road Central (Hong Kong)
> > * spaced slashes: name=Le Rhin / Rhein (shared boundaries)
> >
> > Greater consistency would surely be advantageous?
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk