[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Top up

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 21:46:52 UTC 2018

Yes, it would be more comfortable to tag the PayPoint service itself in a
certain way instead of all the individual services.

It is also better maintainable, as when a new provider registers with
PayPoint, we don't need to amend all previously tagged places with a mass
import.

>From a perspective of policy, I guess we may allow such shorthand for
specific exceptional cases when end users can easily identify the brand and
what it implicates. Keep in mind that machine processing will suffer unless
we store such mapping on the wiki.

In order to properly fill payment:*=*, I once started to gather the kind of
POS terminals and payment processors in Hungary and the type of cards
accepted at each place, but the list was not pretty. Basically each shop
accepts a random subset of 5-10 card issuers depending on the payment
processor/terminal provider. Noting all accepted cards precisely for every
shop is exhaustive, so it is not being done around here (I myself simply
use debit_cards=yes instead). It would also carry a high maintenance burden
later on. However, if we simply mapped the payment processor/terminal
provider instead of the individual card combinations accepted, it could be
done much more effectively, but then we needed an external lookup table
very similar to what you propose, that may be edited on a machine readable
wiki page for example. I find that this very same issue pops up pretty
often when we are trying to extend and redesign OSM related data models and
processes, so it would be nice to arrive at a universal solution for this.

Here are some examples at the end of this thread if you are interested:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openstreetmap-hungary/0ufRoNmw25U

Although I'm not from the UK, I think this is where the term "top up"
originated from and what the of the world identifies it as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_up

However, I can see where you are coming from:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/top-up#Noun
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/top_up#Verb

In Hungary, it doesn't make sense to say "topping up" (roughly translated
as "filling up your balance") your bills - we always use the word "pay" or
"settle" (the latter roughly translated as equilibrate) in context of debts
and invoices. Although the words for refilling coffee (the waiter roughly
asks whether they can pour/fill some more coffee for you) and topping up
balance (you roughly say that you are "charging" some balance or money on
the card similar to charging or filling up a battery completely) are pretty
close indeed.

So if you see a potential for confusion with the future use of the term
"top up", please help us come up with a better one that can still be
understood and translated internationally.