[Tagging] British term for municipal greenery?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 11:48:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just look at the issues related to landcover for carto-css on github,
> e.g. https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2548

[...]

> * not enough instances

And if it gets used a lot the argument will be that there are too many
instances and the map will
be 'cluttered'.

> * what's the difference with landuse

If there's no difference then there's no reason not to make landuse an
alias for landcover.

Actually, there is a difference.

If grass is grown for a purpose (be it grazing or mere decoration) it's
landuse.  If it's
there naturally and not used (by man) for any purpose (or incidental to
man's purposes)
then it's landcover.  At least, that's how I see it.

In fact, looking at the wiki, it states that landcover=grass is better than
landuse=grass
for things like "patches of grass between tracks in railway corridor."
Makes sense to
me, it's not for grazing, it's not decorative, it's there because there's
no point in
removing it.  In cases like that, I don't see a major problem in it not
being
rendered.  OTOH, the South American Pampas is probably best described as
landcover=grass so it would be nice if it rendred.

My overall conclusion is that "municipal greenery" is landuse rather than
landcover
because it's the way that it is because humans made decisions that it
should be
that way (even if it was the decision make it a protected area and leave it
alone).
Landuse=grass renders.  Landuse=flowerbed has been used over 1,000 times but
isn't documented and doesn't render, although grass and flowerbeds probably
account for most "municipal greenery."

--
Paul