[Tagging] tagging for an office of the local representative to parliament

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:40:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 7:25 AM Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2018-11-04 01:20, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 12:10 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Question though (more for someone in Europe) - is a "Member of the
>> European Parliament" elected, or just appointed by their home country? Are
>> they a "politician" as such?
>>

> Elected.  They don't serve any useful purpose since the EU is run by
> unelected bureaucrats, but they're
> elected.
>

> Paul, please keep your personal politics out of this discussion.

I simplified.  From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament

Although the European Parliament has legislative power that the Council and
Commission do not possess, it does not formally possess legislative
initiative <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislative_initiative>, as
most national
parliaments
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_parliaments_of_the_European_Union>
of European Union member states do.

And then you can go down a twisty maze of Wikipedia articles to conclude
that, as parliaments go,
the European Parliament is very limited in its powers but the bureaucracy
is not.  Still, it counts
as elected representation for the purposes of the proposal.

BTW, I'm not going to insist you refrain from inferring my politics by what
I wrote, merely point
out that you inferred incorrectly.  And that by mentioning it at all, you
perpetuated this side-issue.

--
Paul