[Tagging] tagging for an office of the local representative to parliament

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Sun Nov 4 04:54:26 UTC 2018

Paul, as Deep Throat told Bob Woodward, "Follow the money."  Who pays
the rent on the office and who pays the salary of the occupant?  If the
filthy lucre comes out of the government budget, and the office is used
by someone drawing a government salary (as all executives, legislators,
and judges do, or are supposed to, at least) then it is a government office.

By the way the UK has no monopoly on overlap between executive and
legislative branches.  Since we Yanks adopted a Constitution in 1789
that makes the Vice President also the President of the Senate, our VP
is technically a member of the legislative branch, and his office budget
is so appropriated. 


On 11/4/2018 2:04 AM, Warin wrote:
> On 04/11/18 01:41, Paul Allen wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:29 AM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net
>> <mailto:allan at mustard.net>> wrote:
>>     Hmmm.  Reaching back to my bachelor's degree in political
>>     science, Parliament is also a government body, the legislative
>>     branch of the government, so even a member of the opposition is
>>     part of "government" in its broadest sense.  I would tag it
>>     office=government, government=parliamentarian or something
>>     similar.  Executive, legislative, judicial are all "government".
>> There's a can of annelids here, just waiting to be opened.
>> Over here in the UK, I have an MP (Member of Parliament) representing
>> me in the UK national
>> government.  There's also the House of Lords (upper chamber), some
>> members of which might
>> have unofficial offices outside of parliament buildings where they
>> can be contacted, but a quick
>> search shows no evidence of such.  Since I live in Wales, I also have
>> an AM (Assembly Member)
>> of the National Assembly of Wales.  And, for a few more months, I
>> have an MEP (Member of the
>> European Parliament).  Scotland and Northern Ireland have devolved
>> governments like Wales
>> (but different names for their assemblies and members) but England
>> does not (don't get me
>> started on the West Lothian question).
>> Other member countries of the European Union will have MEPs in
>> addition to representatives of
>> their own national governments and some may have (like the UK)
>> devolved assemblies in
>> addition.  The US has state and federal government.  Oh, and don't
>> forget that technically, the US
>> has three branches of government so we have to decide if we absorb
>> the judiciary into this
>> (does our definition of government differ from that of the US
>> Constitution).
>> It's going to take some careful thought, and many postings here, to
>> come up with a scheme
>> with sensible terminology that works for all those situations. 
> And those examples are only the ones 'we' are aware of. I'd like some
> thoughts from elsewhere.
> To me these are all 'politicians' or at least serve a political role
> when acting (I hope) on our behalf to represent 'us'.
> Don't think every situation would be happy with 'parliamentarians'.
> I am not going to try and distinguish between the various levels -
> upper and lower houses, federal, state, local, unions etc...
> That could go in the description, far too many variables around the
> world for a single system I think.
> Lets get the first level of tagging done before contemplating a more
> complex area?
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20181104/f83f22b9/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list