[Tagging] Estimated values for height

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 19:13:26 UTC 2018

Actually, accuracy=* is used quite a few times by itself:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=accuracy

It is common to combine tokens in such a way in the key grammar of OSM.

When I map objects that may be worthy as a navigation aid, like a survey
point or a milestone, I usually specify a large value if I've only taken
measurements with an imprecise smartphone, so others with millimeter GPS
can improve it later on if they will.

I only add this tag for objects that matter, ie., not on every bush or
waste basket. I assume by default that everything is imprecise unless
tagged with accuracy<1.

If you don't know the accuracy, (and you wouldn't prefer to estimate the
accuracy of the estimate itself...), I think some kind of source tag may
work. However, I can see how changeset metadata is more efficient and I
usually prefer that when possible.

Although, it would be nice if we had better tools to show such metadata
while editing. For example, Josm could offer to download a given area with
history as well. It could then annotate each tag in the properties window
with the last modification date, source and comment. That would help
finding deleted objects as well, along with attribution and history
tracking for objects that went through various steps of merging or
splitting.