[Tagging] Add some tag to identify disputed borders

Noémie Lehuby n.lehuby at qwant.com
Tue Nov 20 13:26:04 UTC 2018

Hi,

You are right Andy, it depends a lot about the use case problem you are
trying to fix.

Let's say they are two use cases:
The first one is about creating polygons from administrative boundaries
relations, to make some geographical inclusions or reverse geocoding magic.
I use Cosmogony <http://cosmogony.world/#/about> for that. Overlapping
and unclaimed territories do create inconsistencies, but from my point
of view, this is a minor issue.

My second use case is rendering.
And rendering the disputed borders of Croatia and Serbia
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/45.7714/18.9494> (for instance)
as they are right now in OSM does not look good in my opinion. The
resulting map is quite a mess and it looks like there is another country
in between, or some kind of enclave ... This is mainly about create a
map that is understandable

And this issue is well solved by Paul Norman's approach in osmborder
<https://github.com/pnorman/osmborder>, which uses disputed=yes (and a
few other tags with the same meaning) to flag the parts of the borders
that are disputed and allow to render them differently, just like in
Graeme's drawing.
My question is all about that: do we consider this as a good practice ?
Is it ok if I add disputed=yes all over the Croatia / Serbia way borders ?

I hope it helps clarify the purpose ;)

Noémie Lehuby
Qwant Research