[Tagging] issues with the list of deprecated features

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Wed Oct 17 11:31:47 UTC 2018

Am 15.10.2018 um 16:38 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

> Am Mo., 15. Okt. 2018 um 14:21 Uhr schrieb Tom Pfeifer
> <t.pfeifer at computer.org <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>>:
>
>     On 15.10.2018 10:57, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>     > 3. amenity=creche and amenity=nursery
>     > For both tags amenity=kindergarten is suggested as alternative
>     tagging, which seems clearly wrong
>     > (kindergarten is usually for ages 3-6 while these tags are for
>     ages 0-3).
>
>     I thought the consensus was here that it depends on the country.
>     In Germany, I see mostly the "Kita"
>     (Kindertagesstätte) structure which in the same institution enrols
>     age 0-6 in different departments
>     or groups, and a lot offer afterschool supervision (Hort).
>     This is easily expressed with the min_age + max_age tag, and some
>     folks use after_school=yes.
>

> For the German situation, KiTa and Hort should/could well be tagged
> with childcare, but "Krippe"? And if we decide to tag a Krippe
> (creche/nursery) the same as a Hort or KiTa, but with age tags, isn't
> that inconsistent with Kindergarten? From my point of view, Hort and
> KiTa are both childcare places which extend beyond the times of
> kindergarten and school (and are after those, typically), while a
> Krippe is for babies up to 3 years and is more like a Kindergarten,
> apart from the age. It would really be much more logical and easier to
> introduce / accept nurseries (there's a reason there is a specific
> term for this in language, no?), then throw most but not all of
> "child-related-stuff" in the same cauldron where you will have to dig
> for age group and other specfic tags in order to make sense of it.

There is always a reason having a specific term for different parts of
childcare - it is simply easier to talk about a Krippe(nursery),
Kindergarten, Hort(after school club) instead of a childcare with
age_group 0-3, 4-6, 7-14.
And it is quite logical to take these terms as tags - in the first
attempt ....
But is it really easier to end up with three different amenities - and
so with different POIs - for a childcare which enrols all age groups?
Nevertheless the min or max age sometimes differs at the same sort of
institution - so you may look e. g. after a hort but still have to check
for the valid age anyway.