[Tagging] Mapping language borders, tagging offical languages?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 21:54:41 UTC 2018

On 16/09/18 01:37, Colin Smale wrote:

> Joseph, I have to admit I am getting a bit lost as to what you are
> trying to define with this proposal. Whatever tagging we end up with,
> who is the target audience? What are the use cases? Is it an aid to
> interpreting and pronouncing the contents of the "name" tag? Is it a
> (strong) hint to mappers about how to synthesize multilingual labels?
> Is it documenting the official languages, or the popular spoken
> languages, or what?
>
> Take Brussels for example. Officially bilingual for political reasons,
> in practice large parts are essentially French-only. Composite street
> names can be nl - fr or fr - nl. Can I suggest we work through Belgium
> as a case study, and when there is a proposal to suit Belgium, we then
> cross-check with e.g. Switzerland, Morocco, Spain or whatever?

If you want an extreme case then Papua New Guinea has over 820
languages.. all in one country.
They have 3 official languages, usage varies depending on what you are.
Documenting them would also be a challenge.
The amount of work vs the people who will use the data?
For PNG I don't see the work = the benefit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_New_Guinea#Languages