[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Sep 20 01:59:41 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 4:51 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Kevin Kenny:
>

>> Not all Interstates *ought* to be tagged as motorways. A case in point
>> is Interstate 93 in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, which *ought*
>> to be a trunk (it's a two-lane road with a centre guard rail that was
>> added
>> long after the initial construction.)
>>

> Amazing! I thought all of the Interstates had been fully converted to
> controlled-access divided motorways. All of the Interstates west of the
> Mississippi seem to be motorways.
>
> But 20 years ago I-5 still had a few uncontrolled intersections in the
> rural mountains of N California.

Still has traffic lights and a draw bridge at Washington mile 0, and the
first interchange is sharp enough it probably should have a stop sign or
traffic light itself.  Seen quite a few trucks almost tip trying to make it
off the north approach onto exit 1A for WA 14 East (and the speed limit's
only 50 MPH).  And going south, my very last commute out of Fort Vancouver
was delayed by hours because I stopped for the traffic light, the crash
barriers came down for the draw bridge, and some guy not paying attention
flew past me at the stop line and ran out almost to the crash barrier
before slamming on the brakes, and hit it hard enough to keep the crash
barriers stuck in the fully down position...I've leaned to calling that
motorway anyway.

However, a more obvious "should be a trunk" would be WA 500 between I 5 and
4th Plain Boulevard.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/45.6532/-122.6175  I don't
realistically think any part of this deserves the motorway tag at all given
that it ends on a traffic light and it's got two more traffic lights in
between...like almost half of the junctions on it are at-grade and
controlled by traffic signals.  Every time someone fixes it, someone else
goes through and breaks it back to motorway again.

An example of an interstate I would call trunk would be I 70 between I 68
and I 76, given that those two are the two closest junctions.  Motorways
should terminate at an interchange with another motorway, not an at-grade
intersection...