[Tagging] How to tag a building constructed for a gastronomic purposes?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 14:30:58 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> But the building type of this McDonald restaurant [1] is so different

Until you brought them up, I couldn't think of any distinctly restaurantish
building.  Possibly because my nearest
McDonald is 30 miles away and I haven't even been near enough to see it in
over 10 years, so it's a dim memory.

Industrial, yes: large, blocky with few windows.  Supermarket, yes: large,
blocky with many windows.  Churches and
chapels, yes (but not one of the churches near me, which was based on a
design by a blind person using the only
Lego pieces available 50 years ago in an entry for "ugliest building in
Britain").

But then you get malls in many architectural styles.  And Micky Ds have
many different styles, with only the
arches in common.  Any distinctive frippery is purely cosmetic rather than
structural and could easily be removed.

All the restaurants near me are in converted houses or converted shops or
converted small warehouses, with none
of them built specifically for that purpose.  So, with the possible
exception of Micky D, none of them have a
distinctive restaurant architecture.

Simple test: remove the signage and whitewash the windows and what type of
building is it?  Churches, chapels,
some barns (the style known in the UK as a Dutch barn, which is not what
that term means in the US), supermarkets,
industrial units, railway stations are all recognizable.  Do the same with
most restaurants and the best guess is
"shop" or "house."  Except for one of the restaurants near me in a
converted warehouse with no windows at the
front - remove the signage and the guess is going to be "warehouse."

So building=restaurant (or whatever is used instead) seems to be blurring
the distinction between type of building
and purpose it is put to.  I thought we were moving away from that.

--
Paul