[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - protection_class=* (Words, not numeric codes)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 17:07:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 17:47, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As both the topic of the proposal and the IP norm are approximately at the
> same semantic distance of "protection class" term,

Reasonable point.

that's why I recommend to move to "environment_protection=*" (or something
> like this) to be more focused on what is actually described.

But IP ratings are regarded as environmental protection ratings.  So that
has the same problem.
"Environmental protection" can mean "protecting the environment" or
"protecting things from the
environment."

IP stands for International Protection

Nope, Ingress Protection.  It's an international standard, though.

Even if protection class is a misnomer, I find risky to use it as this for
> a completely different topic, that's my 2 cts.All the best

If we can avoid confusion, we should.  I'm not sure that this does.

--
Paul