[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 00:52:17 UTC 2019

Nope, a mobile home is not the same as an RV or travel_trailer. Have a look
at the illustrations on the Wikipedia page. It is, as the Wikipedia
definition says, a prefabricated structure meant for permanent living. It
has wheels, hence the mobile part of its name but it's moved very
infrequently, sometimes only from the factory to its location inside of a,
here's another American term, trailer park.

An aside: As I consider this thread and the problems we're having with
terminology I came to the realization that most countries don't have such
things as we do in the U.S. Some of the motorhomes you see on American
highways are behemoths based on a full-size bus chassis, powered by big
rear-mounted diesel engines. I'd be willing to bet that no other country
has anything even approaching the sheer size of these things. And they are
quite common here. And are they expensive? Yep. 100 to 200K USD and up.

Anyway, how best to describe the plethora of such vehicles, in the U.S.
especially where they are so common, in one word? The term motorhome fits
such monsters and works for many other smaller vehicles like your garden
variety Winnebagos and extended van conversions but cannot describe
unpowered trailers or, in British vernacular, caravans.

Where do we go from here?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 6:43 AM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14/01/19 09:07, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
> Wow, so much for me naively thinking that caravan was a universal word!
> Should know better by now :-)
>
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 21:58, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> However, there does appear to be a better term.  From
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorhome
>> (the bold emphasis is mine):
>>
>> Motorhomes are part of the much larger associated group of *mobile homes*
>> which includes
>> caravans, also known as tourers, and static caravans.
>>
>> So mobile_home appears to cover it.
>>

> Not really, sorry
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_home: "A *mobile home* (also
> *trailer*, *trailer home*, *house trailer*, *static caravan*, *residential
> caravan*) is a prefabricated
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabrication>structure, built in a
> factory on a permanently attached chassis before being transported to site
> (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as permanent homes
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home>, or for holiday or temporary
> accommodation, they are left often permanently or semi-permanently in one
> place"
>

> It would cover those things that slide in and out of utility vehicles and
> act as accommodation.
>
> I think the 'mobile home' is an acceptable term to cover the lot. Why is
> it unacceptable?
> The emphasise on 'permanent' I think is wrong, but there is enough
> vagueness to accept that 'mobile' means mobile.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand