[Tagging] species:name - for name of species at attraction=animal

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Dec 26 22:44:36 UTC 2020

Dec 26, 2020, 22:54 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 26. Dec 2020, at 19:57, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but in a local language.
>>
>> So
>>
>> species=Giraffa camelopardalis tippelskirchii
>> species:name=Masai giraffe
>>
>> or for zoo in Poland
>>
>> species=Giraffa camelopardalis tippelskirchii
>> species:name=Żyrafa masajska
>>

> why would you be interested in the local language version for the animal species?

I described it in the original post.

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-December/057448.html
"Many people are interested in mapping zoo detail, especially where given animalhas an enclosure

It would be desirable to render it on many maps, likely also general purpose maps(as in zoo areas in high zooms it is among the most important info)."

>  Isn’t this be like adding local names for surface values, e.g. surface:name=Schotter for a German road?

No, because rendering what kind of animal is in a given enclosure is standard and
desirable (to the point of having many kind of tagging for renderer to achieve this),
while rendering surface names is highly unusual.

Also, we have separate values for surface and low number of them, while animal
species is freeform and much longer list.

> With a species or species:countrycode localized tag on the object you should be able to produce a localized animal description for any desired language.

Is there working and accepted system of selecting languages to be displayed that
is not a massive headache?

My intention, in long term, is to enable fixing of
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3775