[Tagging] Help explain the difference between path and track

brad bradhaack at fastmail.com
Tue Jun 9 19:53:46 UTC 2020

It already says this:
"Some highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=track
are used for various leisure activities - hiking, cycling, or as
jeep/ATV trails. "
on the track wiki. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack

I propose changing the path page from this:
"If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), and it
is not legally signposted or otherwise only allowed for pedestrians,
cyclists or horseriders, it is often better tagged as a highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=track
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack> or highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=service
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice>. "

to this:
"If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), it is
often better tagged as a highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=track
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack> or highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=service
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice>. "

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath

To clarify, we could change the track page from this:
"This tag <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag> represents roads for
mostly agricultural use, forest tracks etc.; often unpaved (unsealed)
but may apply to paved tracks as well, that are suitable for /two/-track
vehicles, such as tractors or jeeps."
to this:
"This tag <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag> represents roads for
agricultural use, forest tracks, *recreation*, etc.; often unpaved