[Tagging] Help explain the difference between path and track

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:11:31 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 1:55 PM brad <bradhaack at fastmail.com> wrote:

> It already says this:
> "Some highway=track are used for various leisure activities - hiking,
cycling, or as jeep/ATV trails. "
> on the track wiki.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack
Right, there is nothing that says that a track cannot be used for
additional purposes, only that its primary function is agricultural or
forestry.

> I propose changing the path page from this:
> "If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), and it
is not legally signposted or otherwise only allowed for pedestrians,
cyclists or horseriders, it is often better tagged as a highway=track or
highway=service. "

> to this:
> "If a path is wide enough for 4-wheel-vehicles (wider than 2 m), it is
often better tagged as a highway=track or highway=service. "
1) So we are getting away from the whole notion of "functional
classification"?  highway=track will only be a proxy for some
physical/legal access characteristics?
2) If we are going to use this definition I would propose stronger language
than "often better tagged", perhaps "should almost always be tagged."

Mike