[Tagging] Features underwater (inside reservoirs)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 23:34:43 UTC 2020

On 10/6/20 11:12 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 02:13, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     On 9/6/20 9:30 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
>>     From those, it appears that the condition is free-form text
>>     except for cases
>>     like opening hours.
>
>     Opening_hours provides for free form text.
>
> I expressed my point unclearly.  It appears from the examples that the
> condition is free-form text.  However, when the condition specifies
> opening hours then those hours should be expressed in the standard
> form for opening_hours.  That opening_hours allows free-form text is
> a digression.  Unless you were seriously suggesting that we
> abuse opening_hours as a way of introducing free-form text into
> a condition even though it appears (to me, at least) that conditions
> permit free-form text anyway.

? Abuse opening_hours by 'introducing' free form text? It is allowed, so
not an introduction nor an abuse.

I was not aware that condition allowed free form text. Both tags are
poorly documented for this on the wiki.

> Do you concur that a conditional such as "(low water)" is permissible?  If
> so, do you agree that it is a better solution than "seasonal" or
> "intermittent"?

Yes, I think so, but the documentation for free form text is not clear.
Is open_hours better? I don't know.

> Using "seasonal" is unhelpful because low water is possible (if unlikely)
> during all seasons.  Using "intermittent" is somewhat better.
>
> But both "seasonal" and "intermittent" are (currently) only defined as
> applying to water(ish) features themselves, not to things that are under
> those features.  Changes would have to be made to routers to allow
> either seasonal or intermittent to be interpreted correctly when applied
> to ways.  Routers already (I hope) interpret conditionals.

  Some roads are closed in winter but this could be applied as either
seasonal or conditional depending on the mapper.

I think I have tagged some but cannot recall which way I did it.

Would be usefull to do a tag info search for the more popular one and
then document it on the wiki.