[Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda, cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráre?, pasticceria, konditorei, patisserie, ...

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:07:39 UTC 2020

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 23:20, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Except we don't have seating=yes.  We can differentiate
> with takeaway=yes|no|only.  However, apart from the chip shop and a
> Greggs, all
> the fast food joints near me that I can recollect are takeaway=only.

But then how do we handle food places in food courts?

They would all count as =fast_food, as everything is already cooked /
prepared, & they are takeaway only from the actual shopfront, but there is
seating & tables 5m's away, so are they takeaway or sit-down?

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 03:16, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What has happened is that some parts of the world interpret it differently.
> Which is not a good thing.

But I think we have to, because "cafes" vary so much?

As mentioned by Feket, a coffeehouse usually also has something to "go
>> with" your coffee, tea or other beverage, like a sandwich, a snack or
>> even a piece of pie or cake they purchased (possibly from a
>> cukrászda).
>

> That's the problem.  Where do you draw the line?  Is a piece of cake food?

When I was working at the Uni several years ago, we'd go over to one of the
coffee shops for morning coffee. It was a kiosk only, & they only served
tea & coffee, together with bottled water & you could also buy bottles of
milk from them to take back to the staff kitchens. Fine, so it's a
=coffeeshop. But, they also had a container on the counter full of biscuits
(cookies) for sale! Does that then make them a cafe?

Similar to the food-court set-up ^, there were tables & chairs out the
front, but not for their exclusive use - anybody could sit & have a chat,
coffee or eat their lunch that they'd brought from somewhere else.

> A fast food restaurant, also known as a quick service restaurant (QSR)
>> within the industry,
>

> British English. and maybe just MY British English, but they're not
> restaurants.  To marketroids they may be, but to me they're not.

& I agree with you, even though it was me that mentioned it! :-)

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 05:13, Gábor Fekete <fekgabimr at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's about the main function. In an imagined daily routine (similarly to
> Bkil), coffeehouse (and cukrászda) is the place of some social life after
> or between meals. One can arrange a date with his/her (girl)friend, or even
> a meeting with a business partner for a short talk in a posh coffeehouse in
> a calm ambience (soft chillout music, porcelain tableware). It's not about
> the food or the coffee :)

That (at least to me?) then raises the problem of opening hours (which I
know can easily be defined). The vast majority of "cafes / coffee shops"
(places you can get a tea / coffee & a light meal) around here open at
~6am, but they then close at ~2-3pm - they're not open after work or for an
evening meal.

Similarly, most restaurants (full table service of a multi-course meal)
don't open till ~6pm, then stay open till 11-12.

Does that affect the cafe / restaurant definition dilemma?

Thanks

Graeme