[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 15:38:31 UTC 2021

I tried to figure out how to tag a local club that I am familiar with.  It
is a Portuguese-American heritage club, and the facility has a building, a
soccer field, and a parking lot.  The building contains a restaurant and
bar (the restaurant being open to the public only once a week on Friday
evenings).  Upstairs in the building is a meeting room / banquet hall.

For the overall facility (the grounds) I ended up going with
amenity=community_centre + community_centre=club_home.  I would not call
this facility a "community center" in local vernacular but the wiki
definition seems to fit in with what this is.

For the building (club house?) I tagged it as building=clubhouse +
amenity=social_club.  Though I am told by my British counterparts that it
is TOTALLY WRONG to use amenity=social_club outside of the UK... but
reading the definition it seemed a reasonable fit based on my personal
knowledge of the place.  There is no wiki page for building=clubhouse
(though there are >600 usages), but the combination felt like a cleaner
description.

I added an additional node for the restaurant and added the once a week
opening hours.

Here is what I ended up tagging:
(club web site: http://www.lusitanaclub.org/)

I welcome suggestions about better ways to tag this facility or how the
proposal under development might improve upon it.