[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 12:41:50 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:59 AM Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> You could write something like: Roads that primarily serve as access to
> the land itself and as such are further characterized by low use frequency
> and don't practically serve a regular connectivity role in the regular road
> network.

This is an improvement, but I think it's still too verbose.  I would say:

Low-usage land access roads

"low usage" is redundant with "not a regular connective role", and the
description of "regular road network" is confusing, because of course they
ARE connected to the regular road network and therefore a part of it --
implying that there is some definition of where the regular network ends
and this "other" class begins.  Alternately, it might imply that these are
private (as opposed to public) roads, but that is also often not true.
Access to the land is a sufficient qualifier here, and the "low-usage"
qualifier allows us to distinguish these roads from more significant roads
that aren't appropriate as tracks.

For use cases where a micro-description is needed, I would trim this down
to simply:

Land access roads