[Tagging] Proposed feature - Voting - electricity

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 12:45:42 UTC 2021

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 at 18:37, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2) More importantly I still disagree with calling solar panels a
> "generator" and requiring 2 extra tags to map when a remote building in a
> developing country is powered by a diesel/gas generator. Right now
> electricity=generator is easy to use and makes sense based on the standard
> meaning of "generator" in English as a gas/diesel powered generator. After
> this proposal, to tag this we would have to tag electricity=intermittent +
> electricity:generator=yes + electricity:generator:input=diesel, I think?

I used to have this concern, but was convinced it is best to simply call
these all generators.

It's impossible to have tag names that match all the nuances and diversity
in word meanings across the world, so at some point we have to set some
tags in stone and back them up with solid descriptions on the wiki.

Editors and other OSM tools solve this by localising tag names into
descriptions (like what iD does) and providing wiki documentation next to
occurances of each tag to reduce the issue of people coming with their own
preconceptions about what a tag means.