[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 22:02:15 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 4:10 PM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brian,
> if you are after roads for suicid joggers, I would agree with you :-)
> But, please be very careful.
> I would say, in Italy most roads do not have any sidewalk tagging yet. I
> would also think that shoulders are really very rarely mapped yet, if they
> exist. Also speed limits are largely not mapped yet.
> And the biggest of all problems is that we have no information about
> traffic intensity.
> From a pure safety point of view, I guess running on the shoulder of a
> motorway would be one of the best places,, mainly because they have a low
> incidence of traffic accidents, and most of them have generously wide
> shoulders. Lower grade roads have heavier traffic, often no shoulder, and
> statistically significantly higher accident rates (per km driven). I know
> in a way "your" problem as I am in the "business" of planning group cycling
> excursions, and the real art is to find minor and slower roads that are not
> dangerous (dedicated cycling infrastructure is always preferred, but not
> always available). For this planning I use a cycle-routing software on OSM,
> increasingly Mapillary where available, but often spotchecking on Google
> Satellite, as it is here by far the most up-to-date and better-resolution
> imagery.

>From the time I have spent in Italy (mostly in the south) I would have
assumed that jogging on *any* road that allows cars is suicidal!  We agree
that the question of suitability is a subjective one.

It is not about identifying roads for suicidal joggers.  There will always
be problems and corner cases in a global data set.  The question is how I
might best direct my users to crowd source information about pedestrian
accessibility on roads.  My users routinely mark private roads and fix
non-existing ones, but those fixes are clear-cut.  When a user has run on
98% of the roads in a city, and the remaining 2% are roads that aren't
runnable for various reasons, they are pretty motivated to fix the map to
get that number to 100% (along the way, making the map better for all).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20210123/3b80a3b4/attachment.htm>

More information about the Tagging mailing list