[Tagging] Link route_marker to route

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:19:23 UTC 2021

Javier Sánchez Portero:

> Which one is the better way to link route markers (tourism=information +
> information=route_marker) with their route relation (type=route +
> route=hiking)? As guidepost is listed as a role for members in the
> Relation:route wiki [1], Despite it has no current uses (according to
> taginfo), it seems logic to me to add them to the relation with the role
> route_marker. Do you agree? If so, could I add this to the wiki together
> with trail_blaze?

I don't see the logic in adding the markers to the route relation, just
work without a purpose. I am a hiker, and I use and map tons of route
relations, and I maintain the actual route markers for a number of hiking
routes, but I don't see any use in embedding the markers in the route
relations. But, if you do, where in the route relation should the marker
nodes be? If a marker is halfway a road, should the road be split to put
the marker in between?
If I check and improve the integrity and continuity of route relations, how
should I interpret these nodes? Are there any applications rendering or
using the marker nodes? If rendering is required, how does membership of
the route relation affect the rendering?

The only application I can come up with is a route marker maintenance
application for professional marking firms, in which case the firm will
need completeness and quality assurance which regular OSM mapping cannot
provide.

But, that's a different issue. I do hope Dutch mappers will not start
adding route markers to the relations. If the do, the route markers will
simply be sorted as a (probably unordered) list in the route relation, and
I think they will just be ignored.