[Tagging] Problems with amenity=charging_station

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 09:53:15 UTC 2021

In my experience (for cars at least, but i think it is similar for bicycle
or motorbike), the most important tag on a charging station is the "
*socket:<type>=**" tag as it will tell you if you can charge or not. The
access tag doesn't mean much about this, as technically that's the socket
which limits charging (you can't plug a CCS2 (combo) socket into a bicycle
for example as that's not a compatible socket). I think that most bicycle
only charge on domestic socket (like schuko) and thus, the user can just
filter on that type to see the charging place available. So if you have the
information about the socket type availabe at the charging station (a lot
of them have multiple possibilities) and it is compatible with the charging
equipment, even if it is designed for cars, you can technically charge a
bicycle.

The access tag is more about legal access where there is a sign like "only
motorbikes can charge here" for example (it really depends on the country
too as a lot of countries don't have legal limitation for charging stations
or parking places in front of the station). Also the bicycle=no can be used
on any station that are specifically limited to some vehicle or brands
(like Tesla supercharger where a motorbike or other cars can't charge even
if it does charge with CCS because it is limited to the brand Tesla). I
don't know if there are other use cases for the access tag, but these two
only use the "bicycle=no" tag (and I assume that all other places are
"bicycle=yes" by default).

Regards,