[Tagging] Proposal - Library of things and Tool library

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 12:07:40 UTC 2021

Yes, in British English:
If you have use of something for a limited period of time and you pay for having it, the owner is "renting" or "hiring" it to you and you are "renting" or "hiring" it from them (2 meanings of "renting" and "hiring" - but that's the English language!) The service could be "rental" (e.g. "car rental "), or "hire" (e.g. "tool hire")

However, if no money is paid,  they are "lending " or "loaning" it to you and you are "borrowing" it.
HTH
Peter
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 11:51, Marc_marc<marc_marc at mailo.com> wrote:   Le 18.03.21 à 11:58, Tom Pfeifer a écrit :
> The use of 'library' for renting other objects (tools, toys, things)
> that are not storing knowledge is confusing

I agree with that.

> I'd prefer a generic term, focusing on the rental, e.g.
> amenity=object_rental

but the sharing of tools by an association or a community
is not a rental, it is a lend.
in french there is a difference between renting and lending,
for example a company rents cars, but the neighbor lends me his car.
is it the same in British English?