[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discouraging the use of deprecated schemes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:50:26 UTC 2021

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 14:21, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not a fan of chat-like platforms for serious content discussions. It
> tends to blur the issue and has a high risk of conflict instead of
> co-operation.

Even if there is no conflict, things can get side-tracked very easily and
go down
a twisty maze of rabbit holes.  And chat's don't scale well, which is a bit
of a
problem if we're trying to encourage more people to participate.  It's too
difficult
to follow if there are more than five or six like-minded people who start
out in
close agreement.

For me the bigger problem is that it requires a scheduled time, or
participation
is fragmented in geographically-close groups at particular times of day.
With e-mail
I can defer responding to something until it is convenient; with a chat I
have to
be there even if it is inconvenient (if I want to participate at all).
Would there
ever be times convenient to both myself and some of the contributors from
the US?

I would not switch away from an asynchronous method of communication like
mail or a web-based forum.  I suspect that there are more than just the two
of
us who feel this way.  So promoting chat-based solutions is likely to lead
fragmentation.

--
Paul