[talk-au] Help with licensing

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Fri Jan 19 05:38:26 UTC 2018

> The Department will not provide the data under an Open Database license.
It is our belief that a CC:BY licence is sufficient for use of our data.

Am I missing something, I didn't think we were asking anyone to relicense
their data under the ODbL, just to accept our understanding of one clause
(Section 3(a)(1)) and waive another (Section 2(a)(5)(B)). Are DNRM
misunderstanding what we are requesting?

The second line of the waiver says:
> [Entity] waives Section 2(a)(5)(B) of the CC BY 4.0 license as to
OpenStreetMap and its users with the understanding that the Open Database
License 1.0 requires open access or parallel distribution of OpenStreetMap
data.

Section 2(a)(5)(B) says:
> No downstream restrictions. You may not offer or impose any additional or
different terms or conditions on, or apply any Effective Technological
Measures to, the Licensed Material if doing so restricts exercise of the
Licensed Rights by any recipient of the Licensed Material.

Aren't we (OSMF) just asking the copyright owner to waive their rights to
this clause to allow downstream users of the collective OSM data so that
for example it could be put on a Bluray disc. Their data would still be
CCBY licensed, and the OSM data would be a mix of ODbL and CCBY licensed
data?

/cc Simon Poole