[talk-au] Shoulder and cycle usage

Sebastian Spiess mapping at consebt.de
Thu Jan 23 11:51:25 UTC 2020

Hi,

your case 1 appears to me like a parking lane. With or without cycle
lane this is a common occurrence in most suburbs. I've asked about
parking lanes some time ago.

case 2 - what is the lane between the two continuous lines for?

case 3 - this is where I ask me at what width does a shoulder start
being a shoulder?

case 4 - have not notices that one.

I give you case 5 - similar to case 3 but with markings to indicate
bicycle use, on junctions there are even green cycle lanes.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=20/-32.78641/151.92969

Case 5 was the reason I've raise the question. Following your cases I
would tag it (shouder=yes, cycleway=lane) I do recall signs with bikes
on them along the road, which I would interpret as official cycle way?
However I noticed that there was no line marked on the outside of the road.

I think that the shoulder tag is more important on higher level roads
and rural roads. In urban areas, residential roads I would use the
parking lane tags.

On 23/1/20 5:34 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 14:19, Sebastian S. <mapping at consebt.de
> <mailto:mapping at consebt.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, what is the view of tagging road shoulders and particularly
>     when they have painted bicycle signs?
>
>     Motorways would be another candidate.
>

> I've seen a few different scenarios.
>
> - a dedicate cycle lane (only used as a cyclelane, not an emergency
> shoulder) cycleway=lane + shoulder=no
> eg https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=20/-33.81151/151.18789
> - a shoulder which doubles as a marked cycle lane (it's an emergency
> shoulder, but with markings to indicate bicycle use) (shouder=yes,
> cycleway=lane)
> eg https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=20/-34.64938/150.84838
> - a shoulder which can be used by bicycles but has no bicycle markings
> or signage (shoulder=yes cycleway=no, bicycle=yes)
> eg https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=20/-34.58996/150.60760
> - have both a cycle lane and a shoulder, though segregated by paint
> (cycleway=lane, shoulder=yes) - no way to distinguish this from case
> (2) eg. https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=20/-33.43134/151.29444
>
> I admit though this can be subjective.
>
> So my rule of thumb is if there is a painted marking for bicycles and
> it's separated from other traffic from paint then use cycleway=lane,
> you can also then consider if this is a road shoulder too and add
> shoulder=yes if so.
>
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 14:30, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com
> <mailto:inas66%2Bosm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Shoulders should always be tagged appropriately.
>
>     Shoulders legally in Australia can be used by all bicycles -
>     whether or not they have a bicycle stencil (painted bicycle sign)
>     And a bicycle lane is legally indicated by a sign and not a
>     stencil.  Legally the stencil has no meaning at all.
>

> My view is we should be tagging based on the effective feature on the
> ground, and not solely based on if it meets a specific legal
> classification. So while legally it might need to meet certain
> crieteria to be an official "cycle lane" so long as it's dedicated for
> use by bicycles and separated from other traffic, it's effectively a
> cycleway=lane in OSM.

I've also seen some shoulders that are quite rough and not great cycle
lanes.

>     My personal advice currently in Australia is to caution against
>     indicating there is bicycle infrastructure where there is no
>     amenity.   Since, this is a far greater problem in OSM than
>     missing cycle routes and infrastructure, and takes far longer to
>     correct and survey.  Google Maps has actually come from behind to
>     lead OSM in this aspect now in Sydney in most areas.

Ian, could you clarify the problem? I understand you refer to amenity as
in signs and stencils for cycle routes?