[talk-au] Shoulder and cycle usage

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:06:21 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 22:51, Sebastian Spiess <mapping at consebt.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> your case 1 appears to me like a parking lane. With or without cycle lane
> this is a common occurrence in most suburbs. I've asked about parking lanes
> some time ago.

The parking lane is separate though, it's not shared with the cycle lane.
So it's existence doesn't change the fact there is a cycle lane here. So
you'd just also add the parking lane tags.

Some people have been adding the tag cycleway:lane=doorzone where the
cyclelane exists within the door zone of a parking lane.

> case 2 - what is the lane between the two continuous lines for?

It's just a buffer between the cyclist and vehicles.

> case 3 - this is where I ask me at what width does a shoulder start being
> a shoulder?

In real life the shoulder refers to anything outside of the solid painted
line but before the gutter, even if it's too narrow for a car I'd still
consider it a shoulder.

I think https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shoulder should still be
used if not wide enough for a car, and let shoulder:width indicate that.

> case 4 - have not notices that one.

I searched for at least 15 minutes before finding one!

> I give you case 5 - similar to case 3 but with markings to indicate
> bicycle use, on junctions there are even green cycle lanes.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=20/-32.78641/151.92969

That looks like case 2 to me. It's a shoulder but it doubles as a cycle
lane.

> Case 5 was the reason I've raise the question. Following your cases I
> would tag it (shouder=yes, cycleway=lane) I do recall signs with bikes on
> them along the road, which I would interpret as official cycle way? However
> I noticed that there was no line marked on the outside of the road.
>

> I think that the shoulder tag is more important on higher level roads and
> rural roads. In urban areas, residential roads I would use the parking lane
> tags.

Sure there is a grey area in between, so I'd go with whichever best
describes it's primary use.