[Talk-GB] Should a place be tagged with a node or area?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 10 09:45:32 UTC 2017

Brian, isn't the geographical jurisdiction of the WMCA just the sum of
the areas of the (non-) constituent members? How about using a relation
containing the member authorities, with different roles to indicate
constituent and non-constituent status? This model will allow for
non-consituent members to be in multiple Combined Authorities.

Counties are never required in postal addresses these days - and where
they were used, Royal Mail had its own idea of "counties"...

//colin

On 2017-02-10 10:23, Brian Prangle wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I've just added a relation for the boundary of the new West Midlands Cominbined Authority [1] (which is the same as the old ceremonial West Midlands County, which I've left intact as it's still used I believe where postal addresses still insist on a county and I can't think that the postal address for one minute is going to change to West Midlands Combined Authority). My question is how do I cope with non-constituent authorties?
> Non-constituent members can sign up to more than one combined authority and have less voting rights than constituent members. The non-constituent authorities for the West Midlands Combined Authority are:
>
> * Cannock Chase District Council [2]
> * Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council [3]
> * Redditch Borough Council [4]
> * Tamworth Borough Council [5]
> * Telford and Wrekin Council [6]
>
> Regards
>
> Brian
>
> On 10 February 2017 at 08:33, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> The trouble with the UK is that places don't have clear boundaries...
>
> 1) on the administrative side there are Civil Parishes, but large parts of the country are "unparished" and some parishes contain multiple "settlements"
>
> 2) Royal Mail have completely different ideas, which are for their own convenience and frequently conflict with the admin boundaries
>
> 3) (my suspicion) people identify with their location using other criteria - spontaneous answers to "what place do you live in" will show a great variation "around the edges" of a place
>
> Not sure if the National Gazetteer (which focuses on addresses) tries to define boundaries to named places...
>
> All in all, if we have boundaries for places, they are going to have to allow for fuzzy edges and overlaps.
>
> I suppose it all starts with "what do you mean by place"?
>
> //colin
>
> On 2017-02-10 00:48, Adam Snape wrote:
>
> Thanks Phil,
>
> Our local place mapping must be quite primitive, because few place boundaries are mapped. Do you mean that both the boundary and node should carry the place=tag? Where there isn't a clear boundary to the place, should the mapper estimate it? Glad to hear I've been putting the nodes in the right place anyway :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>
> --------------------
>
> Normally places are mapped with both a boundary and node.
>
> A node is certainly needed for navigation and should be somewhere sensible, normally the centre is where someone who puts the placename into a satnav would expect to end up, rather than a housing estate in the geographical centre.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

Links:
------
[1] https://westmidlandscombinedauthority.org.uk/