[OSM-ja] Official list of towns and village in Japan

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray @ gmail.com
2009年 12月 8日 (火) 17:25:52 GMT

2009/12/8 Taro Kawahara <tarokawa @ mqj.biglobe.ne.jp>

> It sounds nice! Basically good idea. But, I recommend you should start
> from the lasdec list first instead of postoffice list, because many
> cases a village may have several postofficeses, it's not one village per
> one postoffice in Japan. Some village may have no postoffice, Some
> village may have 4 or 5 postofficeses due to historical reason. The
> lasdec list is a complete list of towns in Japan so it is better to use
> at today's mapping level in Japan.

Thank you. I have spent a good part of my day today to teach myself the
kanji so I can distinguish 郡, 町 etc.... I will have a closer look at the
lasdec list.

> But I worry that the lasdec list have kanji presentation only. However,
> the gns list from nga.mil have english presentation only. So to make
> matching each other, you must know how to pronounce each words... It's
> difficult point not easy to make a program done by machine, annoyed. I
> mean it's probably a lot of hand work necessary. I hope many guys here
> helps.

I actually prefer working with Kanji. I am currently using the program
kakasi. It is the only way that I can get something to correlate. I am also
planning to use double metaphone on the romaji in order to reduce potential
problem. It works most of the time but for 北海道, it gives HOKKAIDOU, when I
would prefer HOKKAIDO. I set it to use hepburn but I would prefer to get
Hokkaidō. I have found ways to correct minor issue like this one for places
like 中央 which is translitterated as CHUUOU. Those are easy examples but I
found some more annoying.
I will have a closer look at the lasdec list.

> Probably you're looking line data of border of each ken. list of many
> points makes a line as you know.

I am looking for both points, and line data too. My company needs this data,
and we thought it was only fair to share the results of our work with the
community. I would actually be interested in 区, 町, 村, 郡 and 市 limits in
order to form real polygons.
I intend to help with the work as much as possible by doing imports.

Emilie Laffray