[Talk-nz] Place names

Mike Kittridge mgkittridge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 05:45:49 UTC 2021

Just because a word is used in English-language media doesn't mean that
it's English.
The example Kyle used (when saying it made no sense) was name=Taupō +
name:en=Taupo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Taupō is the Te Reo word for
the English name Taupo. This is the case for all kinds of latin and
germanic languages. For example Québec and Quebec. Québec is the French
name and Quebec is the english name. Again, just because in speech and
media we may sometimes mix languages doesn't mean that all of it becomes
english.
It's tricky in NZ because the the written Te Reo language was derived from
English, so it becomes quite tempting to consider one as the other.

With that said, if you've got an official NZ english language link that
states that macrons are part of the NZ english written language, then I
agree that macrons should be included. That really should be the decision
maker ;)