[talk-ph] POIs Part 2

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:57:57 BST 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Ahmed Farooq <ahmed at enthropia.com> wrote:

>  I have to add – have you seen the Boracay map? While it looks fantastic
> that it is all mapped out, naming each resort/business there has lead to a
> map that looks absolutely bloated and is unreadable at times.
>
> For example
> http://www.openstreetmap.org.ph/map/c/11.960549689657205/121.925368309021/17/- “Mango Ray Shenna’s Resort” – are those two places? One? Which building is
> covered by their name? Multiple buildings or just one?

This is a rendering problem, not a problem of data collection. It's
theoretically possible to add more metadata to those resorts (like N-star
rating) so that a renderer can choose to, say, display only 4- and 5-star
resorts so as not to clutter a general-purpose map. This can be tied to zoom
levels so that at a low zoom level, only Boracay Regency, Discovery Shores,
Friday's, Shangri-La Boracay, etc. will be displayed or labeled. At higher
zoom levels, more detail and labels can then be displayed.

 A POI should be a notable location that a tourist may be interested in – a
> statue, a building, even a public transit location. But specific businesses
> (be it fast food joints or specific resorts) only create clutter and a mess
> – which will only get worse as businesses are created and others go out of
> business.
>
> Having too much data (especially as part of the primary data set) is
> contrary to the spirit of an open user-maintained map.

Well, I generally think that some types or classes of data are good
additions to the primary data set.

For instance, Asiatype publishes a paper map of the Makati CBD and Ortigas
business districts showing the locations of all the buildings. I don't think
having those buildings in OSM is "too much data". Likewise, I think the
location of all resorts in Boracay is a class of data that would be a good
addition to OSM.

Detached (as in stand-alone) restaurants and other dining places are OK in
my opinion; they provide vital landmark info as Rally has said.

On the other hand, I oppose the systematic addition of *all* tenants inside
shopping malls. Some are OK (like the anchor tenants that I've mentioned in
a previous e-mail).

--
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com