[talk-ph] Tagging bridges and tunnels

Ronny Ager-Wick ronny at ager-wick.com
Thu Feb 19 03:01:31 UTC 2015

Hi, Pierre,

Thanks for the reply. It seems to me that when a road has a ref tag, the
itinerary calculator generally ignores street names, including the one given
to the Abacan Bridge. This may make sense in Europe and the US, but here it's
actually quite confusing.
The ref (R-9 fo MacArthur Highway) is generally not used outside of the
mapping community, and hardly within I believe. If I ask 500 random people on
the street in Angeles City where R-9 or R-8 is, I doubt a single one would
know. Furthermore, I can't remember seeing a single sign along a road stating
the ref. The ideal displayed name for this road would be "MacArthur Highway" -
that's what everyone calls it. Same for R-9, which is known as "NLEX", or
simply "the expressway". Is there a way to make that happen, but still not tag
for display purposes? Could we simply remove the ref tag entirely, maybe
renaming it to "future_ref" or something awaiting the local government
actually putting up signs so that people are aware of it (likely to take
decades)? If we're supposed to map reality, the ref tag, at least outside of
Metro Manila, does not reflect it at the moment.

Also, the itinerary calculator unfortunately doesn't seem to handle
roundabouts very well. Or are they incorrectly tagged? If I was to give that
itinerary description to someone, I am sure they would get lost, as I can
hardly think of a more complicated way to describe an essentially straight
piece of road. Knowing I might have been tagging incorrectly in this area
myself, is there any way we could tag this differently to improve the routing?

Ideally this stretch would be described as:
Follow MacArthur Highway
Turn slight right onto Abacan Bridge
Turn slight left onto MacArthur Highway (or better, "Take 3rd exit in the
roundabout onto MacArthur Highway", but this may be hard if the routing
software doesn't know it's a roundabout...)
Reach destination.

Ronny.