[talk-ph] landuse = farm

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 03:31:46 UTC 2017

Of the 3 options, I also favor option 3. For the record, I've been saying
that landuse=farmland (or landuse=farm before) should be tagged on the
entire farm area and not on individual fields (or rice paddies if
crop=rice). See this post of mine from 2009:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2009-November/001545.html

There's also a relevant discussion in 2014 regarding the mapping of
individual farm fields/paddies (thread archive is split into two months):

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2014-August/005229.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2014-October/005318.html

For the specific case of rice paddies, there are actually two ways you can
go about mapping things (once you've marked up the whole area as a single
landuse=farmland):

1. Mark the borders between paddies as ways as these are raised lines of
land that serve as walls to hold the water and secondarily serve as
footpaths (but shouldn't be tagged as highway=*) to access individual
paddies. There was the suggestion to use man_made=bund or
man_made=embankment or something similar but no decision was made.

2. Mark the paddies as individual polygons.

~Eugene