Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 30 11:54:52 UTC 2019

On 28/04/2019 17:13, DC Viennablog wrote:
> ...But in my opinion, as it stands, for bus or tram stops, these relations do not make that much sense. As any software should be able to find those connections between stops with the same name, the stop areas are quite redundent.

Agreed
Using a Vien example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7463438
As each stop has a unifying name tag each stop can be found & collected
together.

Even when in a relation, routers still have to iterate each item to find
if the bus stop is on the correct street

Note this is also an example of public_transport=platform being misused.
There are no physical platforms, just a shelter with a bench.

> For bigger train stations, with differently named bus stops around it, that all belong to it in some way, a relation can be useful, but that case is quite rare.
Disagree
There is no connection, other than approximate location. They're
different modes of transport, different operators.
A passenger may wish to continue their journey using a bus stop hundreds
of metres way, How far should this relation encompass?
Bus passengers alighting aren't guaranteed to use the train station,
they may cross the road to get their hair cut.

>   Usually the stations would have the same name. If I find the time, I might also write a tagging/relation sugesstion that would slightly unclutter the tagging, but as we know, there have been many such suggestions so far, and there is never a 100% consensus. But no harm in discussing it.
Agreed
It needs discussing as it's a bit of a mess right now.

Cheers
DaveF