[OSM-talk] Mapping Qs: Hotel Complex? Beach? Enclosed Woodland?

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Wed Aug 22 02:56:53 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
>      I'm back from a short beach holiday on the island of Majorca
> (which is technically in Spain but the islanders tend to think
> differently).

Nice for some :)

> With the tools currently available, I am thinking about drawing only
> the building outline as building=yes,tourism=hotel,name=xxx (which
> unfortunately doesn't draw the name at the moment but I hear that
> Osmarender5 will fix that, so I won't bother putting an extra
> tourism=hotel node in), and put in the pool as natural=water (even if
> it is anything but natural). And the hotel grounds... I don't know,
> any suggestions?

Surely for the buildings and grounds, being able to make them part of a
larger hotel 'entity' would be ideal...

natural=water for a pool? That's blatant tagging not of what's there, but
how you want it to render... Surely something like leisure=pool would be
more accurate, even if renderers then needed their rendering rules
modified...

Then the rest, garden areas, leisure=garden? service roads, highway=service?
footpaths, highway=footway? parking areas, amenity=parking? Anything
missing?