[OSM-talk] Price of non-free geodata

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 16:10:14 GMT 2008

If you multiply the cost of a private vector license for one of these
countries by the number of Sat-Nav devices sold in that country, you may
well end up with a number larger than the cost to remap the whole country.
This paradox can then be explained by the "market segmentation" and retail
vs wholesale price effects.

In South Africa we have the reverse : A commercial vector data license costs
$0. So the value of OSM lies in having no restrictions on distribution and
having footways, private roads and PoIs.

So digging through the Tele Atlas or Navteq financials is a much better
approach. For example market cap divided by kms mapped.