[OSM-talk] Paid mapping

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Jun 22 21:58:42 UTC 2020

Jun 22, 2020, 23:48 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>

>> On 22. Jun 2020, at 23:18, Mateusz Konieczny via talk <talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>>
>>> These had been changed from highway unclassified surface unpaved to highway=track by a mapper with Apple connections.
>>>
>> Can you link them? I would revert them as tagging for renderer if original mapping
>> was correct.
>>

> sure, but how would you know the way is an unpaved unclassified road and not a track? You would need local knowledge. Well, what you could probably guess correctly, is that every settlement will be reachable through at least one road and not just tracks. If a road is the only connection between 2 settlements, it is probably a road.

I would review aerial and changesets changing that and changeset comments and quality
of work of paid mapper and whatever original mapping was done by someone more trustworthy.

For example if "unclassified=>track" would be described as
"changing unpaved roads to highway=track" and original would be "marking sole road to XYZ"
then revert would be obviously justified.

(real case would be likely murkier)