[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Li Yaqo iata.idp.iq at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 09:46:28 UTC 2021

Dear Martin,

First of all as I believe you already know, OSM is not a place for
historical maps or historical events, there is a map for it, it's called
openhistoricalmap.org, the names on OSM should be the one who is used
currently, and named like you're on that area. You can read it all in the
OSM Wiki if you didn't.

2nd of all, although I don't usually reply to claims, but I'm replying here
with a good faith that you may not know this information about that part of
the world (if you're not local there)
You said "Iranian name“ is the historic name for thousands of years up to
today" is quite not accurate, the name dispute was for thousands of years.
The historic name of that gulf is "Gulf of Basra" which is still used in
some countries like Turkey for example. see (
https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basra_Körfezi).
Here is few historical maps if you're interested to take a look at,

Map from 1607 (Arabian Gulf):
https://ar.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=ملف:خارطة_المنطقة_الفارسية.jpg

Map from 1634 (Arabian Gulf):
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mercator-Hondius_(1634)_Ottoman_Empire.jpg

Map from 1717 (Gulf of Basra)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arabia_Agreable_to_Modern_History.jpg

Map from 1740 (have both names, Basra and Persian):
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PG_1740.jpg

The maps above I sent are license friendly, you can also search what search
engine you prefer with "historic arabian gulf", "Gulf of Basra" and
"Historic Basra Gulf".

Also, you said something like "it's the International name, and the
official name by the UN" this is quite not true, The UN has no official
name for it. And the US Navy who's in the international waters of the gulf
uses "Arabian Gulf" naming. Alongside with all of the Non Arabs who live in
the region uses the name "Arabian Gulf". So if we want to follow OSM rules
about naming and using the on-ground name we should go with the one used
literally on the ground.

I'm staying neutral in this matter as I stated in my previous take on it
here: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2021-June/086683.html

So therefore I see the option A/B is fair for both parties to stop this
issue.

Regards,
Li Yaqo