[OSM-talk] Drain socks

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 10:40:26 UTC 2021

Interesting conversation and again we divert to scientific explanations
and semantics, which in my opinion doesn't make our wiki usable and
understandable for the common mapper.

I worked for many years in engineering and construction, also pipelines,
both for liquids and gasses as you might call them.
In nearly all of the cases however we never used the term liquid, gas,
plasma or fluid. As in most of the cases that's not what is flowing
there. Air is a mixture of vapour, gas and solids (dust particles). The
liquids, especially waste water as mentioned here in the example is a
mixture of liquids and solids, which when they exit a pipe creates
vapour and gasses, when it is in the pipe has a layer of vapour and gas
on top. That's why you can smell them.
Some pipes are used to dump pure solids, like sand, rocks etc... or
slurries, a mixture which contains mostly solids.
I would prefer a general understandable description:" a substance or a
mixture of substances that flow."

I even doubt if we need to describe the substance, if we look at what is
initially intended to be tagged here.
I believe the question was made if we could use this also for air.
Well, drain_socks used for air are not drain_socks, they are vents.
A drain sock is to dump any substance that falls down, does not dissolve
into the air.  A vent is the opposite, it is to dump or dissolve a
substance into the air. But again, in most practical applications, you
can't differentiate them if you are not an engineer. Vents might contain
drains to drain condensate, drains or drain socks contain vents. Those
who are not mixed function as both, nearly always as drain or vent.
So in the engineering and construction world we just call them "outlet"
or "end".  To avoid confusion add pipe or duct to it, because an outlt
is also used in conjunction with some shops. I would suggest pipe, since
many non technical people don't know the difference between pipe and duct.
You also want a tag for inlets, use "end", the end of the pipe or duct
can be an inlet. A sock in engineering refers to a very specific type,
you can refer to that with and attribution key.
Culverts are tunnels or pipes.  Same here as with pipes and ducts, the
common technical term is pipe.

So as main tag I would prefer pipe_end=*. To be used on pipelines,
culverts and vents.

They are very important features as we use them in environmental and
engineering studies to model and map hazardous zones, which we can
perfectly map in OSM and in some cases even marked.

Greetings,

Bert Araali