[Tagging] shelter_type=rock_shelter

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 12:13:34 UTC 2019

The wiki documents amenity=shelter + shelter_type=rock_shelter [1] as "A
rock shelter is a shallow cave-like opening at the base of a bluff or
cliff." It has ~500 uses globally.

In Australia these rock shelters known as rock overhangs or cliff overhangs
are extensively mistagged as natural=cave_entrance. Although many of these
overhangs are named as a cave like "Darks Cave", I don't think they are
quite the same as natural=cave_entrance, which seems more for entrances to
underground cavities which you walk into with at times a narrow  opening,
ie a proper cave.

The Australian community has indicated that amenity=shelter +
shelter_type=rock_shelter is not an appropriate tag in this case since
these are natural features not man made features so shouldn't be under the
amenity key [2] [3] [4].

I think the amenity/natural key is just a historical artefact, and doesn't
need to strictly imply natural/non-natural.

Should we create a new natural tag and deprecate shelter_type=rock_shelter,
or just accept the tag as in use?

Appreciate any comments either way. I just want to see single globally
accepted tag to avoid tag proliferation.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Ashelter_type
[2] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2019-April/012578.html
[3] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2019-March/012529.html
[4] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2019-March/012530.html