[Tagging] Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant

European Water Project europeanwaterproject at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:04:02 UTC 2020

Hello,

1) free_water=yes if it is available to anybody, and free_water=customers
is very confusing and people will mis-tag free water for paying customers
as free_water=yes

This model is used for many other tags in OSM. One of the most
fundamental tags, access=*, uses it to show "access only for customers"
for example. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Dcustomers .
free_water=customers would not look out of place at all in that list.

It may be OSM compatible but doesn't seem optimal and our crowdsource model
may bring newbies tagging incorrectly cafes and bars.

How about free_water_refill=yes free_water_table=yes ? What is the
character count permissible for tags ?

Here are the instructions for adding new fountains in 6 languages. Written
with the help of Wikimedia, OSM France, OSM Spain and OSM Switzerland and
friends.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH/Project/European_Water_Project

2)

The other dimension that has been mentioned, is "bring your own
container" vs. "we supply the container". Something like
"container=customer", "container=supplier" or "container=both" perhaps?

 container=supplier does not allow individuals to carry at all times a
reusable water bottle. a) of course an establishment always has the right
(and the obligation) to refuse to fill a filthy water bottle. I would also
suggest individuals always unscrew the top of the bottle before handing to
the barman ... to reduce the possibility of germ contamination.

This being said, I can see the usefulness of this tag understand the
usefulness of this tag (although we will exclude container=supplier from
our application display.

Best regards,

Stuart